How Much Does it Cost to Install a Picket Fence?
Would you like have a picket fence built in your yard? Expect the cost to install a picket fence to come out to approximately $585 - $835 for 25 linear feet of 3-4 foot high wood fencing.
Picket fence installation cost will depend on the following factors:
- Fence height
- Type and quality of materials
- Number of corners and gate(s)
- Decorative effects
- Site's condition and degree of slope
- Accessibility of the site
- Materials -- Wood (most commonly cedar, cypress, Douglas fir, pine, or redwood) is the traditional picket fence material. Vinyl is about 75 percent more expensive for materials and installation, but also lasts longer with lower maintenance. Pickets, posts, and concrete for postholes are normally included in the material cost.
- Labor -- Installation includes the work of digging the postholes and setting the posts in concrete, then attaching the fence rails or panels. Usually the cost of finishing a wooden picket fence (that is, staining, painting, or sealing) is not include in the job quote. If the ground needs extensive leveling or other preparation, or if an existing fence needs to be removed and hauled away, that will add to the cost to install your picket fence.
- Permit -- Most locales require a permit to build a fence. Ask your contractor to pull the permit before starting work.
- Estimate -- The initial estimate, which may include onsite measurement, is often free.
Get the Most for Your Money
Double check the location of your property line, as well as your town's fencing setback requirements, to avoid making any expensive mistakes.
Ensure that your fencing plans follow the guidelines of HOA, if you have one. The fence design should also fit in with the character of the neighborhood.
A well-designed picket fence is an attractive outdoor accent that will add curb appeal to your home when you wish to sell.
Cost to Hire a Fence contractor
Articles and Tips
Pay A Fair Price For Chain Link Fence
One of the most widely popular types of fencing is chain link, also known as wire mesh or cyclone fence.... Read More
Decorative Metal Fencing
Metal fencing is not only durable and long-lasting, it can also be decorative and pleasing to the eye.... Read More
Vinyl Fence Repair FAQs
Vinyl fencing is known for its toughness and resilience. Expect a good quality vinyl fence, properly... Read More