Thinking about installing a shower? It will typically cost you between $1,140 and $5,120.
This is quite a price range, and the reason for the wide variation in costs is quite simple: you'll find a tremendous selection of showers out there. The cost to install a shower will fluctuate according to:
- Style, such as shower-tub combo, simple stall shower, shower with framed or frameless door, etc.
- Prefab unit vs. custom shower
- Square footage
- Quality and efficiency of fixtures
- Whether a shower pan or a tiled floor is used
- Any structural repair, reinforcement, or refinishing necessary
Cost to Install Shower Features
TYPICAL COST (LABOR & MATERIALS)
Install a tub shower
Install a shower liner
Install a shower door
Tile a shower
Install a steam shower
- Materials -- Confirm with your contractor the type, amount, and quality of materials to be used, such as tile, showerhead(s), faucet(s), shower liner, etc.
- Labor -- The work to install your shower may require the services of several different professionals -- a plumber, a drywall pro if walls need to be moved or replaced, and an electrician if you have ordered an electric shower, special lighting, and so on.
- Clean-up -- For a shower replacement, your pros will need to demolish and dispose of the old shower. This may increase the labor cost.
- Permit -- You will probably need to pay for a building permit, followed by an inspection.
- Estimate -- The initial estimate, which may include an onsite inspection, is often free.
Get the Most for Your Money
Install a WaterSense showerhead, which uses 50 percent less water than a conventional one. This may be required by law in your area.
Installation of a prefab (kit) shower will save money and time, but you'll have far fewer design options. Besides, it may be difficult to impossible to actually get a prebuilt kit shower through your existing bathroom door.
Cost to Hire a Plumber
Articles and Tips
Roto-Rooter has become so synonymous with sewer and drain cleaning in the minds – and speech –... Read More
A dishwasher is a marvelous time- and labor-saving device. A green one will also conserve energy and... Read More