How Much Does it Cost to Install an Electrical Outlet?
When you hire a pro to install an electrical outlet, you can typically expect to pay from $130 - $275, including labor and materials.
The cost to install your electrical outlet will depend on several things such as:
- type of outlet
- condition and accessibility of existing wiring
- capacity of existing electrical system
- whether you want to upgrade (two-prong to three-prong, tamper resistant, or GFCI outlet) or expand (single to duplex outlet)
Cost to install an electrical outlet will normally include:
- Materials and Supplies -- Materials include the outlet (receptacle), a remodeling box, electrical cable, and wire connectors.
- Labor -- Labor includes the basic electrical outlet installation. If a wiring upgrade or installation of a new circuit or expansion panel is necessary, this will add to the cost.
Get the Most for Your Money
Don't risk fire or electrocution by trying to do electrical work yourself. (IMPORTANT: homeowners insurance often does not cover damage due to DIY repairs.) Hire a licensed electrician for electrical repairs and installations -- especially if you have fabric-insulated or aluminum wiring. Save money by preparing a list of small to medium electrical projects to be completed in one service call.
Verify exactly where you need to install GFCI outlets, which are more expensive than standard ones. They are generally required in kitchens, bathrooms, garages, and outdoors -- anywhere that water could easily come into contact with the outlet; check with your local code for precise details.
Cost to Hire a Electrician
Articles and Tips
29 Top Energy-Smart Tips For Kitchen Appliances
Looking to save energy when you use the most common appliances in your kitchen? Here’s a complete... Read More
Simple Human Garage Can Gone are the days when appliances were the main focus of any kitchen. Today's... Read More
What Is The Cost To Wire A New Dishwasher?
In some cases, an appliance is just an appliance, and all the versions are sort of the same. Take sinks... Read More