How Much Does it Cost to Install Vinyl Flooring?
If you are thinking about installing vinyl flooring, you should know that the cost is typically somewhere between $2.50 and $5 per square foot, which works out to $500-$1000 for a room measuring 200 sq ft.
Vinyl flooring can be bought in the form of sheet vinyl or tiles. While both are comfortably resilient, warm underfoot, and affordable, there are some major differences.
Compare Sheet Vinyl Flooring vs. Vinyl Tiles
Vinyl Flooring Type
Low price per sq ft
No water permeable seams
Complicated, costly install
Must be expertly cut
Wastage if your room is not a standard shape
Difficult to repair
Limited styles & patterns
VINYL TILE or PLANK
Quick and inexpensive install
Can be "grouted" to simulate ceramic tile
Offers DIY design possibilities
Simple to replace a few damaged tiles
Easy to transport
More expensive per sq ft
Water can penetrate between tiles
- Materials -- Cost to install vinyl flooring includes the vinyl sheet or tiles, plus adhesive and possible new subflooring or underlayment.
- Labor -- Labor cost is based on the actual installation and may increase if your contactor needs to do additional work such as removal of old flooring, replacement of subflooring, and so on.
- Estimate -- The initial estimate, which may include onsite measurement, is often free.
Get the Most for Your Money
Save time and money by choosing a vinyl flooring style that is in stock rather than special order.
Prepare in advance in advance before your flooring contractor comes to do the actual vinyl flooring installation. Do some or all of the following:
- Move furniture out of the room.
- Remove baseboards.
- Tear up existing flooring.
- Level the floor surface by sanding rough spots and filling in cracks, nail holes, etc.
Expect installing vinyl flooring to be a lengthy process, which can take several days if you're doing more than one room.
Cost to Hire a Flooring contractor
Articles and Tips
Identifying A Bad Smell From The Radiator
Photo of pink vintage radiator by theogeo/Flickr. Ah, the sweet sensation of radiators kicking off... Read More
Flooring Price Comparison
How much should you pay for a new floor? And how do different materials stack up, in terms of flooring... Read More
5 Sweeping Statements About Brooms
Much as we might want to deny it, housework is a basic fact of adult life. And because everyone needs... Read More